Skip to main content

tv   Senator Joe Manchin Town Hall Meeting  CSPAN  March 21, 2017 1:39am-3:02am EDT

1:39 am
censorship, every word is available for broadcast coverage. and journalists will be able to use and edit as they see fit. the solution for the lack of confidence in government, mr. speaker, is more open government at all levels. i hope for example, that the leadership of the united states senate will see this as a friendly challenge to begin to open -- >> over rules, the gentleman's time is expired. >> this medium and our open debate, has the potential mr. speaker, to revitalize democracy. >> in 1986 c-span 2 was launched to carry the senate live. they are web cast live, archived and searchable for free. c-span tv, radio and online are provided as a public service across the nation.
1:40 am
this is an hour and 20 minute minutes. >> thank you very much. >> thank you, i want to thank elizabeth. she's a product of west virginia. her dad and family went to school with me. to the organizers, really is god bless you-all. , i asked how many do you expect? she said 300. we have 600.
1:41 am
to micah, to shane, to megan, i thank them and to all of our speakers, makes a difference so i as write y'all being here and to thank public officials. my friend mike ky and the judge here and i don't know if there is others but i thank team for being here because sometimes it's a tough one. anyway, let me -- i want to introduce my staff to you. my staff is here and will be here and we do case work, anything you need help with. we're facilitators and will be sure to get you the help from any state department. kim, raise your hand. kim is in the back. kim is one of the top
1:42 am
caseworkers. maria is on this side and brian? brian is right here. t.j. is from my d.c. office. i want to thank them. let me say a couple things and we'll open up to thinking y'all want to talk about. i'm sure y'all have concerns on other things, too. everything is on the table. affordable care act is the biggest things we face. it's one of the largest social agendas we have and social policy changes. put this next to medicare and social security, it's right up there. social security didn't get it right in 1935. it took awhile and medicare didn't get it right and it will take awhile to get it. there is not a person in this room that doesn't believe we can fix it. you don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
1:43 am
you don't repeal it. the politics -- can you-all hear me? can you hear me back there? are you okay? the politics are so bad. i met with president trump four weeks ago. i said let me tell you what is happening, our republicans made a political promise repeal, repeal, our senator byrd passed away in 2010. trust me, i miss him more than you miss him. right? he was something. 60 times they voted to repeal it. not one time did i see something, hey, joe, here is something better. hey, joe, this is something worth fixing. not one time. i'm the person they usually go
1:44 am
to if they find someone to swing to work and cross over and say okay, that makes sense. let's try to make it better. nobody. so i'm thinking, okay, now all of a sudden, that's their mantra and think about this. they had success. in 2010 we just about got wiped out, the democrats. we started losing all of our house seats and we lose senate seats by 2014 we lost both the house and senate, so they think that's a roll now. they think they are on a roll and i think the people must want this for us to repeal this because we've been working on that. and i'm saying wait a minute, and then they -- now they got to put up or shut up. i said mr. president, they are telling you that we're going to basically repeal it immediately, but not change anything for two years. i said sir, down they a you und they are trying to get through the 2018 election? they know how devastating this will be and push out and 2018
1:45 am
after the election. i said what they are not telling you, they will repeal day one every single tax that pays for this thing. you're going to be $475 billion and $475 billion and they haven't explained that to you yet. i said mr. president, that's just not right, please don't go down it. because then he saw it. it's a miracle i saw it. now i can put it off to play the political game. at least we called him out on that. the only thing i would ask all of you. there is no reason on earth that
1:46 am
we can't sit down, democrats and republicans and look at the repair in the private market. we can fix that. if we all agree the preexisting condition is inhumane, not to allow a person to buy insurance that's affordable, even though they had a horrific health care problem, that republicans tell me, they agree basically we shouldn't have a cap and a cap says i'm sorry, aunt mary, you've used all the money we could ever afford to spend on you to keep you alive or healthy. we agree that's inhumane. that's -- okay, if we agree on that we agree the 26-year-olds should stay on. we agree our senior citizens should fill our medicare part d hole. we agree on that. if we agree on that, why in the hell do you want to throw it out? why do you want to repeal it and
1:47 am
start over? that's all -- so i said, here is where the problem is. here is where the problem is -- if you make $75,000 or greater, your salary and you're not private sector, private market, you're paying higher pr eer pre higher detectables and will say wait a minute, i'm paying all this and i got to pay thousands more until i get to use my insurance. that's the pry sit sivate secton fix. no one has ever worked on that. i haven't found a 26-year-old yet that paid $4600 for the product we have on the market now as soon as they leave their parents. they will pay the $750 fine but not the $4600 because it's too costly for them. so those are things to work. i want to give a shoutout, workers here. they have been getting screwed
1:48 am
royally. let me tell you. and i'm -- i want to tell you the whole story because you probably are only hearing part of it. we're fighting right now for our health care benefits, retirements and our pension. right now we're on four month extensions. they have been playing this four-month extension. this started in 1946. john l. lewis was going to pull out because my grandparents and everybody that worked in the mines got nothing. no retirement or health care or nothing. we built this country and fought more than two wars. so important to have energy we had that basically they said okay, the truman and krugman act said there would be a certain amount of money taken out of every ton of coal mined. it wasn't taxpayer dollars. i was going out of the work they
1:49 am
performed. that goes on. everything is fine. we had that in place. in 1980. the bankruptcy laws came into place that allows companies to go bankrupt and walk away from the obligation and pay. that has 7208. the abandoned land comes from every ton of coal you produce in america goes into a reclamation friend. we're not using any of the money basically used for reclamation. we're using the excess money to pay for the miners' pension and retirement fund. we have a great bill. we've been working for three years and mitch make ccconnell d us every time. i said right now i've got a trade agent that they want real bad and he has to have 60 votes and i got him on hold and i'm going to tell you, he's going to stay on hold until we get this
1:50 am
protection bill. so the other thing, we're going to get our health care done but we got to come back and fight pension. i want to talk about opiates. as a west virginiaen, you've been kind to me. i've been around here for a long time and many different posit n positions and learned a lot and made a lot of mistakes and i never made a mistake trying to hurt my state or hurt anybody in my state. i've always learned from every mistake i've made. i've always tried to do something and sometimes when you do something, it doesn't work out you got to fix it. that's what we're doing now and you got to fix this. so we're -- the first time in my lifetime that we've been below 50% of the adults working age working in west virginia, it just tears me apart. we have the best workers in the world, and everyone says you get a west virginiaen, you got a great worker. they will give you a good day's
1:51 am
work for a good day's pay. there is too few of them. there is three things to keep you out of the work force, lack of skill sets, addicted or convicted. you got a conviction on you, addiction on you or a lack of skill sets or combination of those three. the one that's killing us is addiction. this addiction basically, not one of us in the room right now if we're honest with ourselves that doesn't know somebody in our immediate family, me included, our extended family or close friend that hasn't been addicted by prescription or elicit drugs. that's an epidemic proportion and if we don't step forward and this generation doesn't fight this, god help us all because tell your children, i go to the schools and tell your children, there is not another country that can take us on. there is not another country that basically can matchup with our military might, nowhere in the world. they know it. there is not enough. there is not another economy that comes close to our economy. we're about a $20 trillion gdp and china around 10, 10.5 and
1:52 am
drops off the scale after that. nobody. they know they can't. guess what? they are not going to. they don't have to. they think that we're going to fall from within. they don't think we'll have a sober enough a less addicted or well educated enough work force to remain a super power into the 2050s. i mean, you know, they just figure hey, you can't do it. you aren't producing the people that basically can keep us super power of the world. so i asked all the kids, here is the problem we got. addiction. i've got a bill called lifeboat. if you don't do anything, help me on this bill. this bill makes every pharmaceutical manufacturer pay one penny per milligram of opiates they produce. one penny. let me tell you what that one penny does. that one penny goes to treatment centers around the country and where it's most needed. i guarantee you, west virginia will have one in every community. that will -- that one penny
1:53 am
you're not going to believe this, that one penny will produce 1.5 to 2 billion with a b, dollars a year. one penny, so people says i don't have -- i can't get one of my republican friends to sign off. they said oh, we've took a pledge of no new taxes. i said this is a life saving thing. this doesn't have home. i said opiate addiction and overdose from prescription drugs is killing democrats, republicans, liberals, conservatives. it doesn't care. and it's a silent killer because we don't say anything. we try to fix it ourself. you can't. and what we're saying, what we're saying is that one thing would give us the money to fund it and taking money away. the affordable care act right now for the first time people with mental disorders, mental health, people that basically are addicted are getting help now and we're paying for it. never did before. that will take that away immediately. back to square one. that's why we're fighting this so hard. the second thing is, i get a person with an addiction, i go to all the different clinics and
1:54 am
everything. i talk to people that have been addicted and lives been ruined. they are thankful they are still alive because they overdosed many times and been safe. they said i want to get cured matt boggs has a recovery house in huntington. that's ground zero, ground zero, if you've not been there, it's awful. they are fighting it. they are doing it. they have an excellent really a group of excellent doctors, their town, their community and the marshall university has gone together to have a school of excellence basically treating from conception to birth and child all the way through because what happens is we catch him at the tail end after they have been addicted. we get a baby neo natal baby addicted from an addicted mother that go home to an addicted lifestyle. they end up repeating the same thing. so it's an all inclusive thing. the other one is they won't stay in treatment because they can't
1:55 am
get rid of their conviction. they got a felony on their hand. most of it is larceny knee. we have a bill called last chance. this one bill, i need help on this one, too. last chance says this, if it's not a crime -- if it's not a violent crime or sexual crime that you committed. if it's mostly a large knceny lu go through a one-year recovery, certified recovery plan, one year as a mentor, you're mentoring other people, after that two years, your sponsors can go to the sentencing judge and the sentencing and basically the arresting officers to go to court to ask for forgiveness and expungement so you can get back in the work force. those are the things that we've done. so with that being said, we'll
1:56 am
talk about anything and everything and this is my fourth one in two days and i guarantee, anything and everything does come up. i'm happy about that. mike, however you -- >> i -- if any -- as you guys can see, this is a huge line on this wall. so if you have any questions, please go and stand next to the wall and like i said, it's 90 seconds you get to tell your story or ask your question. the senator will have a little bit longer, not much longer, to answer those questions as much as he can because what time does it forum end? if you need anything, i mean, we're here. hi senator. you guys hear me? okay. i'm from brooke county and i'm standing here today and i'm standing here today on behalf of
1:57 am
my best friend alex that committed suicide. i would appreciate it if you could let me finish the entire question. thank you. senator, while i'm encouraged, i have not heard you speak about the silent killer, every 12 minutes someone in our country commits suicide and every 30 seconds someone attempts to take their own life. this is a public health cry sis that is affecting your constituents, our neighbors, especially the poorest among us. mcdowell county, the poorest county has the highest rate of suicide in west virginia and west virginia's population has a 50% higher rate of suicide than compared to our country's average. that's not a coincidence. poverty is a death sentence. what i heard you say at thursday's town hall in charleston is that even though your second top donor is your daughter's pharmaceutical
1:58 am
company, we are to believe that you are not beholding to and do not work in her favor and you even admitted while west virginians are dying daily from suicide and drug overdose, your daughter is one of grossly over paid in the industry. if you truly don't work in the favor of your donors, why are you pushing so many opiate related bills? i heard you laugh off medical marijuana in charlton saying everyone wants to smoke marijuana for peace, love and whatever but for countless veterans, cancer patients and people living with chronic pain, being denied a safe, natural alternative to the pharmaceuticals that have poisoned every inch of our state is not a laughing matter. with the i'm pendimpending repe thousands of west virginians lacking the access to medicinal therapies that do help mental
1:59 am
illnesses, so how do you project the numbers may change for your constituents who suffer from mental health issues and who consider suicide their only option and what have you done since your town hall in charleston to educate yourself about the benefits of medical marijuana? [ applause ] >> first of all, my daughter, as you know, is ceo of the pharmaceutical and she knows and i know all pharmaceutical, people at that level and other people at that health care level are all over paid. okay? we talk about this. but i don't have control of that. they don't have control of that. that's all -- it's so crazy. i don't even understand it. with that being said, with that being said, i'm proud of milam and what they have done for morgantown and people have jobs. i know a lot of people that do
2:00 am
and i hope that they understand that because it could have been wiped out and wasn't. with that said, would you think i'm supporting opiates? if milan pharmaceutical or any other and that's their product, you better mind another because i would put you out of business. i'd put opiates but people need them for pain. i understand that. i do. there is a balance. as far as marijuana, here is what we said about marijuana. there is people that want recreational marijuana and the only thing i can tell you is i go to the different treatment centers and clinics and addiction centers where people have been addicted. they usually nine out of ten of them will tell me, i always ask how did you get started with -- on your addiction. they all tell me -- >> boo! >> that's -- well, let me just say this, let me say this, that this is exactly -- so, so, this
2:01 am
is exactly and the other three and people don't think that's true. so i'm trying to learn about it but i'm telling you what i find out when i travel to the addiction centers they said they started with medical -- not medical but recreational marijuana. they said it turns into harder stuff and i know you're saying -- i know, i know. i'm trying to find out, too, and trying to learn. she say what is have i learned? i learned since thursday that medical marijuana, there is a lot of good assets and attributes that it can help. so if that's the case, we're looking at that. i'm talking to doctors and going back to washington doing research and finding out doctors and how they feel about it. what's the side effects? what can it do? can you get off of it or is it the same as treatment centers for it, too? i don't know but we're going to find out. we're trying everything i can. i said this, what i know about just marijuana, recreational marijuana, i would not be in favor or support legalizing
2:02 am
recreational marijuana. that's just me. i know that, trust me, the same in all three other town halls, it's the same. people feel the same about that. so with that and i know they say colorado made a lot of money, and this and that, and prohib prohibition didn't work. i heard every for the last three days, i heard a little bit of everything and we'll take all of that in consideration. that's what all this is about is for me to understand your concerns and learn more about it. i can only tell you what i know and it might not be enough to be -- have this conversation you want but i'm willing to learn. i'm not acceptable to the recreational marijuana and legalizing marijuana. i'm more receptive to finding out medical marijuana, what role it can play and hope people with their care. [ applause ] >> in the interest of time, just one comment about asking questions, this is for everybody in line, if as we move through this process you have your
2:03 am
question answered, if you could please take your seat. if your question has been answered sat 'ttis fa answered, take a seat so we can cover a wide variety of topics. >> senator, thank you so much for being here. my name is jen ter wagner. thank you very much for your opposition to repealing the aca and your support for health care for americans and you heard the services planned parenthood provides and health. [ applause ] >> let me -- let me say first of all, we're all a product of our environment. i watched my family and grand mother and life is precious. i was raised and engrained in me as being as pro-life as i could
2:04 am
possibly be. i go to congress when i was governor,know, i fried to balance this out as best i could because i know how emotional. i have a lot of women in my life, my daughters, my wife, my mothers and all ever them, so i hear from all different sides of you. i first went to congress and when first i think in 2011 a vote came up to defund planned parenthood. and me being prolife, i said, makes sense, they do all the abortions. then i started learning a little bit more and i said, well, there's the hide amendment. and they said, joe, the hide ameant mend meant basically makes sure that not one penny of federal dollars goes toward paying abortion dollars. so people that are against abortions basically can't say my tax dollars were against my will. so the hide amendment protects that from being done. my friends on the pro life said no, joe, wait a minute.
2:05 am
>> i said i'm looking everywhere i can. if i can find one pen nay goes from the funds of federal dollars that go into paid abortions, then woip vote against funding planned parenthood. but i couldn't, so i voted for funding planned parenthood. then -- then we saw the horrible -- the horrible accusations and videos that came out and that was all being investigated. then we have another vote and i voted against planned parenthood until that investigation was cleared up. that investigation, i'm understanding, has been cleared up. there is i think charges against the people that made the unwarranted documents, and all i can tell you is this. if it comes up, if planned parenthood comes up and it comes up again and there is absolutely no connection what's so ever, everything that basically has been said was false, is proven false and nothing comes up
2:06 am
between now and then, i will vote to fund planned parenthood again. >> senator, thank you for being here i'm elizabeth husbandsy while i grew up in fairmont and now live in morgantown and i want to thank you for your support to wanting to keep the aca. my husband and i would not be able to afford any kind of health insurance were not for the mar kit place and insurance subskid sid did is provided. he has a small home repair remodel company i work for a jung locally based nonprofit and without those things from the aca we would not be able -- >> you all are from the market extension. >> the marketplace, yeah. >> i know right where you are. >> so thank you for fighting for that. >> everyone thinks that anybody's getsing free healthcare or getting it and they're not working, they're not getting free healthcare. they are working they're getting some assistance and subsidies and lower prices. so it's not free.
2:07 am
>> so thank you for that. my question is about another issue that's coming up in the senate that actually has a direct impact on healthcare. in the hobby lobby stores versus sa bailya supreme court nominee neil gorsuch signed on to an opinion allowing for profit employers to refuse to comply with the birnl control benefit in the affordable care act. senator, given that you have stated that you would not vote to reduce any coverage afforded to women under the aca, do you also oppose mr. gorsuch's nomination? >> that's a good question. that's one that comes up all the time. >> so and just to follow up real quick, you can commit to getting an answer from mr. gorsuch about the hobby lobby decision? >> well, i'm going to meet with mr. gorsuch. he what's a hearing coming up next week. i will be sitting down with him before i make my final decision on him. i will ask that question directly.
2:08 am
i haven't had a chance. i've met him, i haven't talked to him. i'll ask him. let me talk about where we are. i was never so embarrassed as -- es specially is as a u.s. senator but as an american. but as a u.s. senator sitting there when mayor rick garland came up for consideration and he was nominated. and my colleagues on the republican side some of them wouldn't even let him come in tharp office and sit down and talk to him. i just wasn't raised that way. i keep saying, we just weren't raised that way in west virginia. we talk to everybody. might not agree, but we'll talk to you. and i couldn't -- so i understand for 12 months we went without a nominee. at that time, mitch mcconnell says, well, it's because basically back in 1990 joe biden said that we shouldn't be at the last -- someone's last year of their term and i think it was last three or four months of the term back then, that you shouldn't have that president
2:09 am
who's going out appoint someone for a life-time appointment. that's the argument that was being made. and that's what mitch was saying. well they sat on marek garland for a year. so now we got everybody mad on that side, but we have -- i have my friend here, the judge, and i can tell you for this -- for democracy to work you've got have three branches of government that work whether we like it or not. you've got to have the executive branch, i'll speak about that, you have to have the legislative branch, which i'm part of, and the judicial branch. and the judicial branch does not work with eight members of the supreme court. you've got to have nine. you just can't be in a tie and throw everything back down. so i truly believe. so here's what we have. harry reid pulled the nuclear option and so you know what the nuclear option is in 2015, i'm the only democrat in the senate today that voted against what harry was doing. i said, harry, robert c.berg
2:10 am
would be rolling over in his grave. if he could come out of his grave he could come after you for doing this. it's wrong. the beauty of the senate, unlike any other political body, any other policy body in the world is so different because we have the rule of the minority. the minority has a 60 vote -- or the party has to have a 60 vote threshold. that gives the minority input. george washington suddenly asked him why do you have both? why do you have a bicam ral -- the house can do anything they want to with a simple majority 218. and joe washington says, well, he says, the member of the people's member will be like a hot cup of tea. sometimes it's so hot you can't drink it and the senate's supposed to be like the saucer that catches the overflow of the hot tea and cools it off so that you can drink it. that was washington's explanation back in 1789 spot here's what we're dealing with. the nuclear option is basically
2:11 am
51 votes in the senate. now, i'm here to tell you i think mitch mcconnell will say, well harry reid did it in 2015, i'm going 0 blow the nuclear option for the supreme court and i am begging him not to. if you do you destroy the whole process that we have will be destroyed because then they'll do it with lenl slags. then with have no input, no say whatsoever, the minority. and believe me, what goes around comes around. with neil gorsuch i can't give you a definitive yet. my main concern is can i keep the 60-vote threshold? and i will vote to support the 60-vote threshold i will not go down to the 51 vote with everything i have in me. neil gorsuch, whoever he replaces you're replacing ja ska leelya who was an extremely conservative justice. so they're replacing this justice now. the next -- there's going to be another one, hopefully not, but more than likely, you know, with
2:12 am
the age and everything else it will catch up and there could be another one within this four-year term. that's the concerning -- so we're going to try to keep it intact and the 60 vote and i'll ask him the question, i have no problem asking the question. >> hi. my name is jill hess, i'm from fairmont, iowa. -- virginia. i have a preexisting condition that significantly impacts my functioning and i, i weekly infusions that before insurance would cost two -- or $20,000 a month, $20,000 a month, that far exceeds what i make annually. i, i this to function. now, i could be significantly impaired by changes to the aca, but i'm one of many. in this stas we have horrible health dissparts, chronic illnesses. we are a product of our environment and so i want to know how are you going to make
2:13 am
sure that the unique nature of west virginia's public health is honored and understood in washington so that when changes come, they aren't going to totally negatively impact our state more devastatingly than it already has been? >> that's the reason weir all here today fighting the aca. you repeal that you think our problems are bad now they exacerbate the problems we have right now and that's the problem. how do we get people healthier and a healthier lifestyle sn? when i was your governor i went to washington and said let me take care of people a lil bit better than your doing. the chips program is for people that are working but are poor. if you're coming from a family that doesn't have insurance you're not getting routine maintenance or preventative care. you're basically using it when you have to and the skid basically taken to the hospital and sure the, the chips will pay
2:14 am
for it had they're really sick. so i says, let me use that same amount of money you give my state and let me use it for k 25 and 8. let me start way kid coming to kind are gart ten, do the bmi, follow them through and keep them from getting sick. we were doing things like that. i said let me work with my welfare were people on medicaid. i said a healthy person or medicaid does not need the same type of care that a very sick person on medicaid needs. i only had so much money, there was only so much of your tax money i could spend. so i said if you're a healthy person and you're on medicaid and you're on welfare, i want to you go to your nutritional classes, i want to you exercise, i want nutrition, i want to you learn how to cook. you have to learn how to basically live a healthier lifestyle. they beat the living crap out of me on that. and i said because i can't help the poor people that are so sick because all my money's being used up in different areas.
2:15 am
so we tried to put common sense to it and we're going to have to put common sense to our whole healthcare providership. that's what we haven't done. we're going to talk about that too, single pair, because that's a big thing and we will. we'll get to that. >> thank you, senator. my name's richard steiner i'm from fairmont. >> a lot of hometown people here. >> my question to you is what i've read about with the republicans changes to the aca, they want to basically replace it with tax credits and i'm here on behalf of some of my friends from mcdowel county and that county has the lowest life expectancy in the united states, has one of the lowest per median capita income. how are they going to be able to
2:16 am
afford health insurance if it relies on tax credits when they can't even make it, you know. we know that aca, obamacare isn't working. everybody can agree with you on that. but it's better than nothing. and with the republican plan. >> well it's working, it really is. >> nothing is what we are going to get. >> let me just say this. it is working where it was intended to work, basically filled in a gap of 20 million people that never had a prayer, never had a chance. they'd have never gotten out. so that's what you can't go back on. you can't go back on that. it's the private, it's the private markets, okay. and we can fix the private markets, but no one wants to fix it because if you fix it then basically you told all your people who voted for you we're going to repeal it. well, wait, you fixed it. well oar i'm sorry, i'm going to old you accountable i'm not going to vote for you because you told me you'd repeal it. well don't you think it's better if you fix it?
2:17 am
no rational anymore about fixing things. there's a bunch of tax credits to the richest americans, they don't need it,-- if we don't us money that those tax credits would be given to them, if we don't use it wisely and make sure we're getting people healthier, living a quality life, a better life, more productive life, then we've not done our job either. it's the responsibility of everybody. let me talk about -- i'm going to talk about single pair because i know -- who's got the question on single pair, i know you do. bring that single payer, we might as well get right to that if you don't zbliend my name's leslie goreman and thank you for having courage because the other representatives didn't. are you aware of the house bill hr -- i'm sorry, 676 -- 6, 77?
2:18 am
i'm sorry. >> okay, what. >> it say medicare for all bill. >> medicare for all. >> that was introduced in january in the house. no one knows about it. >> well, it's a shame. until it comes over to the zmat we usually don't. >> well, that's why i'm here. >> okay. >> it covers comprehensively everything that we need and how to pay for it. >> what was the pay for? >> it's medicare for all. >> who pays? >> it's a 5% increase on or tax increase -- sorry. it's a 5% tax increase on the richest 5% of the country. i actually brought a copy of it with me. >> so first of all there are is something we need to talk about because i want to learn more about it too. single pay, canada, what do we got? canada, denmark, sweden, uk, they're all in single.
2:19 am
i said -- i said the same question people ask me how do they pay for it? who pays? what's the tax structure? all these things have to -- we have to revamp our tax structure in america. we've got $20 trillion in debt and no one's talking about that and they're going to go to 25 and we're going to pass it on to the kids and grandkids which is criminal what we're doing. but here's what i did find out. let me take sweden. this sweden, i couldn't believe this one. their taxable income from first dollar you make, your first dollar to 47,000, it's zero. but, they have a local tax. so the federal -- the government of sweden takes zero from dollar one to 47,000, but they have a minimum tax in their local areas of 28 to 34, so everybody pays 28% on the first dollar they earn in income in sweden.
2:20 am
if you make 47 to 67%, you pay 20% federal tax with a 28% local tax for a 48% tax structure. that's not do-able for us. then you go down to uk. uk has a better run were they go zero -- we don't know what their local taxes are, but zero to 5,400 pays 10%. so everybody pays something in the uk. everybody pays 10% no matter how poor you may be. 5,400 to 34,000 is 20%, 34 to 161 is 40%, and 161 and above is 45%. that's the uk. canada, zero to 45 spers 15. so the first dollar in skand 15% taxes. 45 to 90, 21, 90 to be 142, 26 and it goes progressively. so i'm willing to look at everything. i truly am.
2:21 am
whatever gives, because i truly believe if you have a healthy person and if you go back and you think the system we had before -- and, again, i'll refer back to when i was governor because i had a lot of stuff come at me. and basically i had all the hospitals coming to me and they said, well, governor you've got to give us this share we're taking care of all these people and they can't pay. all these people are come together emergency room and they can't pay. your tax dollars i had to jug around paying the hospitals to stay open because they were giving all the free care. and then workers' comp was four billion dollars in debt and the four billion dollars was hading up because you know what happened? person was working trying everything they could, didn't have insurance but the business they worked for bylaw had to have workers' comp. so if they got hurt, wherever they got hurt, they hobble back in on moond claim a workers' comp claim. it's the only thingthy had. if you think that's a decent way
2:22 am
to deliver and that's what the republicans want to good back to. i sat on the frontline and watched that and we made some changes. it was unbelievable. so that's what we're fighting against. i'm open to look at anything and everything. if there's a way that we can all agree that this is our new tax structure this is how we're going to pay for it, whatever we're going to do, i'm fine. i'm fine. so we're looking at it. okay. >> this is the fifth paragraph shows how it pays pore it. this is the bill i can hand it to you? i don't know if -- you want to give it to me? what we'll do -- see, let me tell you. any of these bills here i can write a bill and maybe they've done what they call a cbo score, they say, okay, it will do what you say it's going to do so we'll look at anything. >> sir, my name is ace barsy i'm a new resident and happy to be here. i wanted to credit you for being here because your two colleagues were invited and this is a decent good conversation and
2:23 am
they should be here as well. but i wanted to talk about just a previous person asked the question and i think it's a yes or no question, that in 2012 the supreme court voted a 5-4 decision to uphold the aca. these are unelected judges so all the legislative things we do we can still lose our healthcare and there are other decisions coming before the court, a 4-4 decision on the fred drikz case that would cut the union's ability to fight healthcare. i get adds on my internet, anything that i watch from outwest virginia's organizations because money's unregulatend and they can come in. pie question to you is if judge gorsuch doesn't make a commitment to these kind of decisions that protect our healthcare here in west virginia, yes or no will you commit to voting against him? >> i can't say yes or no today until i talk to him. i'm going to wait -- i'm going to wait -- you're saying if he's voting against that. here's the thing. and i'm weighing it on this, and
2:24 am
i'm as honest as i can be. the 60-vote rule will destroy more if we deg gras date that and go down to 51. so let's say i vote against neil gorsuch and he gets 59 votes and he gets 59 votes, okay, he doesn't by the laws and rules. senate right now it's 60. mcconnell, senator mcconnell, mitch mcconnell will bring it back up to vote on basically the nuclear option going to 51 votes. he'll go to 51. then they don't need any of us, okay. so i'm saying, now, if we hold it at 60. when you're saying the aca was upheld by a 5-4 decision, that are was with justice skilleaa. so if you put gorsuch in scalia's spot, does it get worse? we've got to make sure. because right to work -- it's horrible what they're doing the right to work and prevailing
2:25 am
wage, our legislature in charleston has done is destroying basically the working person, and i mean that. that's all of. that is awful. so, i'm -- i'll ask that question, i sure with will. and you're asking me if he goes down that -- they won't give us an answer on it to be honest with you but i'll be happy to ask. >> but if he does. >> if he does and he'd say i'd vote this way i'd be hard pressed to vote for him, that's for sure. >> okay. my name is dave bot i'm from more gonetown. as a former umwa labor representative, i left the industry in '96 because with the amended clean air act i saw the downfall of the industry that was coming and i took a different careerpath that scared my family but we got through it. the miners protection act isn't bailing out miners, it's bailing
2:26 am
out cool companies. i want to know why we don't address the baps bankruptcy laws and make pensions the first people paid in every bankruptcy. >> dave, you're exactly right and basically that has come up basically with the onslaught of people coming up to have a national right to work and what they've done for prevailing wage this is coming out to the forefront. we're going to get some traction on this and legislation. will it go anywhere with the republican legislature but basically ifaway don't try shame on all of us. but the bankruptcy courts have done -- allowing everybody to walk, they've all been able to walk and 408ding the bag. i agree. i agree. we ready? >> next. >> you're ready. >> hi, senator manchin i'm barb corn breath from ridge for the,
2:27 am
west virginia pit am glad you're here. recently you explained on morning joe why you have been so supportive of mr. trump lately, and you state thaud thanked him for supporting west virginia coal miners. you rewarded mr. trump by being one of two zratic senators to approve scott pruitt for the head of the epa. you stood. >> boo. >> you stood by mr. trump when he signed the amendment allowing it easier for coal companies to pollute our waters. aside from that, what are you thanking mr. trump for? trump care hurts coal miners. what is trump doing for coal miners? what exactly do you support when you say you thank him for protecting the coal miners of west virginia? >> okay. i don't think -- i don't think there's any secret in this room i didn't vote for donald trump,
2:28 am
i vote ford hillad for hillary . now, with that being said, he got elected. he's our president. someone asked me when i was running, senator, what are you going to do with donald trump gets elected? i said i'm going to do the same thing i will if hillary clinton gets elected, i'm going to do my job. piem going to do everything i can to make him the best president because he's the president of the united states of america. i want my country to succeed and my state to succeed and i've got to try to work with him. with that being said, i was the chief executive of the state. when i was govern noir went to the state senate. i said, guys, i'm going to bring a team on board that i know and trust put might not know them and you might not like them but if they can bass three things, a background check, if they request do a financial disclosure and an ethics probe and they're clean, give them to me. if we screw up throw us out in four years. i'm going to be there for four years let me put my team together.
2:29 am
so in defrps to the executive i always let them try to put their team together. they're going to be gone with the executive if he's gone. now, there's a few i couldn't vote for if they didn't have the skill sets. so we'll go with jeff sessions first. i voted for jeff sessions. >> boo. >> i know that i heard from a lot of my friends about that one. and let me just say this, and i said we're a product of our environment. i was auld taught if i knew a person i would base my decision on what i knew about you rather than what someone said about you. i nooi knew jeff i never saw one ounce of racism in him. they talked about senator byrd the same way, if that happened 50 years ago, i don't know, i wasn't there then. i'm telling you exactly what i know. here's where we stand now. i'm the democrat that voted for jeff sessions.
2:30 am
now we've got an fbi investigation on michael flynn. fbi investigation. jeff sessions the new attorney general, there is no way jeff sessions should be heading up that investigation or being over that, so i said, jeff, step aside, step aside, jeff. now, when i say it as the only democrat that voted for him, they can't say man chip's playing politics, he's saying that -- he didn't vote for the guy anyway. i said no, i voted for him, he can't be had that position. and i told jeff session this. if it's proven, if it's proven that you misled or lied under oath to the committee, i'll ask four to resign. i will do that. that's all i can say. [ applause ] >> now, with that on scott pruitt, let's talk about scott pruitt basically passed the three things and i know he comes from extraction state. i understand, he understands, we have to hold his feet to the fire. but i can assure you you're going to get a scott pruitt or
2:31 am
someone like a scott pruitt. he came up, he's knowledgeable. okay, whether we agree or not on certain issues but i want to talk about the stream buffer rule, we're not going to. the clean water act is still in place, the clear air act is going to be in place. basically what the stream buffer rule hps -- hold on. i'm okay you can holler at me too i'm okay with it. back up here's the thing. the stream buffer rule, what it did, it took all the authority away from the epa, it took it away from the corps of engineers, and basically gave it into this 400 new regulations. and i look at the duplicity and i can tell you sometimes you weight it down, we can't have -- you know, there's got to be a balance between the economy and the environment. there's got to be a balance somewhere. and that's all i'm looking for. >> boo. >> okay. i really -- i've got. feedback before so i understand. but anyway, we're going to hold his -- uh?
2:32 am
we're not going to drink dirty water. they're not going to pollute, they can't pollute, they'll be in violation and shut down. i think, first of all, we all want clean water and air and we're going to make sure we get. but some of us are going to do it differently. well not by shutting everybody down on everything, you just can't do it. that's wrong, i'm not for that. i'm not for the cuts in epa. i want the epa to do its job. >> hi. >> west virginians. >> we need to get to the next question. >> you better -- >> we're get together next question now. thank you. >> we need to tell the -- >> you guys, i promise that this would be a very respectable. >> that's okay. we're okay. >> i just didn't want to good back on my promises either. >> i'm from buck can nan west virginia so first of all i wanted to thank you for, you know, protecting our healthcare for showing up here today and i
2:33 am
also would like to thank you for voting against betsy devos. [ applause ] >> having said that, the affordable -- if the affordable care act is repealed as proposed, we will inevitably have more sick kids. couple this with the fact that west virginia public education is already struggling with enrollment and finances, charter schools would take many quality teachers out of public schools. it would divert money from public schools to chart her schools. this will be devastating for kids who are already marginalized and who have the cards stacked against them. hr 610 makes my heart hurt for our kids in west virginia. education is their hope of breaking the cycle of poverty. our kids will be unhealthy and uneducated. what will you do to fight for healthcare for our kids and to
2:34 am
fight for public education? >> that's -- that's really at the crux of everything. when betsy devos came and i'm sure she's a very fine woman, i don't know her that well, i've met her. sat down in my office and i explained to her, i said, betsy, you know, education in west virginia is more than reading, writing, and arithmetic. it could be the place where they get their only one nutritional meal. there's so much more to public education. and here was the thing, she passed the three test as far as her financial fbi background check and ethics probe. but when it comes down to turning it over the education system that's made. greatest country in the world and a person's never been involved in that process or their kids haven't been involved, i just didn't think she had the knowledge at that level knowing a public education. that's all. and i'm not -- it wasn't -- and i told her it's not personal, i
2:35 am
just thought there might be somebody that had better skills or had more experience in the public arena. so i can tell you on that, we're fighting head start when i was govern nor again we put more morn towards early childhood education and also we have energy express -- i'll share one real quick story with you. i always go to the -- when i go to your schools and your kids' schools i go to the cafeteria first. i learn more about your school when i go to the cafeteria than i do anyplace else, that tells me everything. so i went be in may wrarz down in southern west virginia, i went down to a cafeteria in may. the cook was crying and she was getting ready to get off for a couple two or three months. i said why are you crying? she said i'm telling you these little kids are going to go hungry and i just wish we could be here all year long to feed them. so you've heard me talk about year-long education, it's for many reasons, and that's one of them. but the bottom line is we've got to be looking at things differently. these kids if it wasn't for our summer programs, energy express
2:36 am
and head start, they've got nothing. they've got nothing and we're going to fight for that. thank you. yes. [ applause ] >> senator, this is a follow-up regarding that same issue but with another specific area of it. >> within the -- i'm lisa hall and i'm from buk can nan also. within the hr 610, the school vouchers bill, the every student succeeds act is at risk and that act allows children with disabilities to receive access to the general education environment and accommodations on their assessments statewide. and so how can you ensure us that the every student succeeds act will still be available and viable for our children who have disabilities in our education system? >> that was another reason, also. a lot of people don't even realize that, you know, the laws that we have guarantee that
2:37 am
every child gens gets an opportunity for quality education no matter what their zabltsds or handy caps may be. and we foot that bill. that's a moral response thabl we've taken on. so people don't understand that are whatsoever and that's why the voucher systems and the charter, i'm sure charter works in some areas. in a large metropolitan area, that's fine. we don't have it. our tax structure is different. how we support our school systems. you take any dollar away and redirect that dollar, you didn't add anymore dollars to it, you redirect today and you're going to have a lot of kids that get left out. i've said, i can't support that. i cannot support it because i know how fragile our education system is'. that's all you can be and speak out on that. >> hi, senator manchin.
2:38 am
tru thank you for being here. karen watson from drive fork, formerly from charleston for 32 years. >> i know where dry fork is. >> you know where dry fork is. my question does concern the epa proposed budget cuts of 31%. i'm very, very troubled it's going to deaf ves state many of the critical programs, chesapeake bay, great lakes, all the algae blooms that we've all seen, we all care about that, not to mention west virginia issues. another area being cut is monitoring and enforcement. i worked for 32 years for the department of environmental protection under your administration as well as about four other governors. >> we never cut it either, did we? >> no, we didn't cut it. and i -- but what i want to emphasize is because in my role as an attorney for the agency, i often had to deal with epa in
2:39 am
both enforcement issues and in getting the state water pollution control program. i helped to write the lawyers and the rul-- the laws and the o make our minimum standards conform to the minimum federal standards. i can tell you from personal work for 32 years that had it not been for epa and i know you've had differences on what i would consider in the scheme of things minor, you know, in the scheme of things. >> talk about that but what you're talking about is very important. >> what i'm saying is without epa, west virginia's implementation of the environmental program would have been flejling at best. would have have been a race to the bottom with other states if we don't have a strong federal agency this state's environment will not prosper. >> but basically the way the system had been always, you had the state -- the state had promisesy, correct. >> because the rules i helped right. >> because the rules you helped
2:40 am
comply with. at the end it got to the point that -- i talked to, you know, our director at that time, but they can't even have -- west virginia didn't have any say whatsoever. we were -- they said -- that's what they were telling me. >> no, that's not accurate. >> well, okay. >> but bottom line, it's critical that epa remains strong for the whole country. >> i don't have a bit of problem i just want them to do their job adoubt army corps of engineers do its job. >> i would say that the rhetoric that is going around about obama's war on coal, okay, that that fosters -- >> i know one thing he took the 404 water permit away from the army corps and took it to the white house, i know that for a fact. and we kent couldn't get a permit done or anything. >> i mope you'll -- >> i'm going to keep the epa but i want to make sure they do their job. >> thank you. >> ready? >> let's go.
2:41 am
>> yes. senator manchin, thank you for being here this evening. i'm warren hills boss from fairmont, west virginia. so my question, actually, records your healthcare and that of the 534 other members of congress. you all are covered [ applause ] >> you all are covered -- you might know where i'm going. >> i'm fine because i just found out what my healthcare is. >> oh. well, my question is, though, the congressional healthcare plans really are something of a gold standard in the united states. >> no. no. no. no. >> compared to -- >> i thought so too. >> the point is, is many of -- many of your constituents here believe that part of the problem is that many of the republican legislatures do not really have any skin in the game. would you, shut american healthcare act reach the senate as it currently is, support an amendment, if offered, to remove
2:42 am
that program altogether so that the 535 members of congress could be in the same boat as the 24 million americans that would lose their healthcare? would you support that, sir? >> let's make it -- let's make it very clear. this is a misnomer. this is what they call -- i don't know what -- anyway. i pay -- mine's right at $1,000 a month. i'm on the exchange. so mara's try care, she's veteran try care. brian, you'll be on an exchange. t.j. you on the exchange. we're on the exhang. everybody thinks we get free healthcare for life. that is a bunch of ma lark i can, that's crazy. >> i don't know where this stuff gets started. everybody thinks we get a paycheck for life. my paycheck stops whenever i stop being the senator and basically my retirement is not my full paycheck, my
2:43 am
retirement's 2% of my pay that i served. i don't know where all this happened. maybe it was back in the '30s and '40s they did that but not anymore spot i'm paying the $1,000 a month, comes out of my check, okay. i'm on the exchange, the d.c. exchange because that's where our checks are written from. there on -- is anybody on the west virginia exchange down here as far as in our office or everybody's d.c. exchange? senate employees are on d.c. exchange. if this thing changes it changes all of us too. we're not protected. if we go down, you go down, we all go down, that's thely what it should be. >> i'm from hazel ton west virginia. i just really want to hit on your voting record and ask why did you twice vote against the rei am poretation of fda approved drugs from kantd. >> i do not, i voted for it. >> yes, you did. >> just recently i voted with old bernie. >> 2107 and 769.
2:44 am
>> i don't think so. >> i have it on the record. >> we'll check it out because we just did it, we had a vota romorama. >> you voted previously against it. >> not unless it's buried in the bill. if it's fda approved i approve it if the if they were just opening up the market without fda approval, i'd vote against it. give me the copy of those bills. we're going to check and it get back with him. if i messed up, i'm sorry. but i didn't -- that's one thing bernie and i agree on. >> my name's mike i'm nervous you can tell from my accent i'm not around here originally but i live in morgantown for 40 years and i am a citizen. >> god bless you. you have dual citizen? >> no. >> just the one.
2:45 am
>> just the one. >> you picked the right one zbland grew up under the british health service. my grandmother who didn't pay any taxes, she didn't have two pennies together she spent weeks be in hospital for nothing, my father was treated effectively my mother's still alive can walk to the nearest clinic pays nothing and gets kurt yesous prompt service and so it's working well there. it's a socialized system, of course, but i don't -- my problem with obamacare and with anything that's being done here is it's only part, even sipping will payer is only part of the issue. the other is the vast medical industry in this country, including the drug companies, of course, but everybody is being paid hugely and we can't afford this. do you anything about it? >> well, here's the thing about it. they're telling -- only thing i understand, say prescription drugs, all these big pharmaceutical companies, he we're the only company in the world that prices drugs the way
2:46 am
we price them. we allow the private sector to negotiate discounts. that's crazy. the federal government should do that. cms should do that. it shouldn't be the private sector. we've got three companies that all they do, they're the middleman, three companies. one company, express scripts as i understand, is bigger than coca-cola and at&t put together and they don't make anything, they just basically take the drug from here and yet a discountry from the manufacturer and put it over here. and the doctors, you know, i said we're the greatest shopper in the world. when i was governor retried to put what we call compare care. >> i wanted to put it up you can look in the tonsillectomy area mormal procedures where you could smop and get the best price. we don't do anything of that. we do nothing to try to get the lowest price of delivery for quality of goods. but when we shop we know how to shop for everything else, but we don't know how to shop for healthcare because they won't let us. i'm trying to change it any way i can, any way i can.
2:47 am
>> senator, this will be our last question before i wrap up activity. >> good afternoon, senator manchin. thank you for being here with us today. i wrote a plain vanilla rather polite question on this white card but anyone here who knows me knows i can't ask it this way. i am so passionate about this subject that i'm going throat card away and speak from my heart and i'd like to talk to you about the way i feel about drugs from a very personal perspective. my name is pamela kaylor "live in more contown but i work in clarksburg and serve all of harrison county the i left a long 30-year careertor have a new career and that's as a child protective services worker for the state of west virginia. in addition to that, and you may already know this, i am a 13-year foster parent, an adoptive parent for the state of west virginia. and the rin tell you both of
2:48 am
those thingds is because i have parented ten children many my home, and of them i have adopted eight. of those ten children, nine of them came to my home from their families and those families were all devastated by drugs. the other one child that i parented in my home was devastated by the impact of mental illness. as a cps worker most people sort of know by conventional wisdom that we have ridiculous caseloads. my caseload which i love and am passionate for by the way, is more than 90% families that are devastated by drugs. yes, i am very concerned about the adults, the users, that need treatment and that are dying here in unbelievable numbers in west virginia every day. but you know who i'm speaking for every day? i look like an adult but i'm really a kid. i'm speaking for the children who are absolutely devastated by what is happening with substance
2:49 am
abuse and addiction. and i absolutely implore you to do everything in your power and to push hard against a very difficult political tide, i know, to protect medicaid benefits that particularly include treatment for substance abuse and mental health and to please protect any other funding or policy for those same very, very important issues. i hope you will do that. please tell me how. >> let me ask, i want to make sure i understand. come here. come here. you -- you have nine children, you put foster care and you adopted eight of them? >> i have parented ten children and of those ten i've adopted eight. [ applause ] >> well, i just -- that's putting your money where your -- >> but i am not um up here to proneat for myself i'm a living
2:50 am
example of the way that this issue impacts families and kids. thank you. >> it's the toughest thing that we've got going. i know that they're wrapping up and the time, okay. let me just say this to you. i'm a product of my environment so i come from farmington, west virginia, grew up between the tracks and the creek. i think i was praf lajd child. they said why? i said i had unconditional love. i'm proud of all my family because i think basically i saw what they taught us. so i grew up there was always rules, always rules. you had to work, remember the old saying no work no eat? you had to work, and everybody -- you had to help everybody. my grand moernl would stop and say a prayer she saw someone was disabled, handicapped, diseased or whatever. i just watched that. so my politics is i'm fiscally responsible and socially compassionate. i'm never going to make a decision that i ever think would hurt any person, not one human being.
2:51 am
i might not make decisions the way you would want me to make them. i true. i try to listen to everybody. i'm never going to do anything that will hurt you. i'm not. if i make a mistake and i mess up, tell me about it i'll go back and fix it. i say if you can't change your mind, you can't change anything. and i just -- i've just had the greatest opportunity representing this state because every time i get on television i'm so careful i want them to understand how good we are, because i know the connotation. and i said in west virginia we don't do it that way. we don't treat people that bad. we help people. we'll do things. i said we'll reach out and take care of our neighbors it's just the way we were raised. but it's gotten so toxic that everybody -- if you don't agree with me you must be my enemy. i'm sorry you're not my enemy. if you're republican you're not my enemy. president trump you're not my enemy, but i want you to know that west virginians voted for you. i didn't, they did, but basically they nied help. don't repeal the affordable care
2:52 am
act, repair it. just fix it. that's all we're saying. and then we can fix the rest. so only thing i can tell you is i'll give you everything i got, you know, and my daughter, i'm proud of my daughter, she start reasonable doubt out 21 years of age working for a little company in the basement in the bottom of a trailer, worked there has been there 25 years and worked her way clear to the top only in america, i guess. i don't know. sure, i can't -- you know, these salaries are all out of whack everywhere. coaches, my goodness when i grew up coach could barely make it. now the coaches, my goodness, administrators can barely make it, the students can barely make it. skou pick any seg mecht society, it's all out of whack. and i have a number for the white house if you want to write this down. the white house switchboard is
2:53 am
202-256-1414. i really do, i believe that president trump can say stop this, let's not repeal it guys, let's fix it. we know where it needs to be fixed. but you throw it out and politics are so bad we can't fix it. i don't want to go down that road. i hope he would help us. so 202-256-1414 had the i'm sure you know our numbers, get congressional numbers, get our colleagues' lubz numbers, get everybody. i will say this, you've got all 48 senators that are democrats that absolutely will hold the line and not vote to repeal the affordable care act, all 48. so we need a little bit of help. with that being said. >> the senator, in the interest of time, unfortunately we did not get to all the questions today. however, we do have something small planned just to give everybody in the room a voice. all of you have on your chairs green and red cards and we talked in the beginning about how that would be agree and
2:54 am
disagree, support and nonsupport. some of you have agree and disagree signs on the little stikds so either one will work totally fine. but i'd ask all of to you take this out now and we're going to have a very brief lightning round so to speak. first one's going to be very eds and i think it will be very interesting for the senator to see the reactions. we'll just -- okay. so the first is we'll make this really brief. the first is, please raise your green card or your agree sign if you'd like to thank the senator for attending the town hall today. all right. green or red cards now for agree or disagree, green card if you support repairing the aca, red if you support repeal and replace. okay. we're going to flip the script a little bit. so green if you would support a replacement of the aca but only if it were to be for sort of a standards inspired single payer
2:55 am
healthcare system. all right. as we all know, tom price has become the new secretary of health and human services in the -- in trump's cabinet and senator manchin i believe you vote the against tom price, is that correct. >> yes. >> so please rooiz raise your green card to agree with his vote of no on tom price and red of course to disagree. there is and we did have this topic come up today. will say tie between the environment and healthcare especially here in west virginia with a lot of bills we're seeing go through our state legislature and how they affect the tox inds. water. scott pruitt, senator vote ford scott pruitt. please raise your green card to agree and red card to disagree. we also discussed -- we discussed the links between education and healthcare as well. betsy devos, secretary of education, senator manchin voted
2:56 am
against betsy divorce, green for agree, red for disagree. >> and finally, our -- it pains me to say this phrase dearly but president trump has been very strongly supporting this american healthcare act along with many other builds that i believe the majority of the people in this room would disagree with. green card if you have significant concerns of senator manchin toward the -- i'm sorry, red if have you significant sernz, green if you think that's the right approach. i apologize, i actually made that very confusing here. senator, 2019 thank you for coming today. that are was a little -- it was a little more thanh than 50/50 but i wanted to do that activity to gift people in the room a voice and to be honest after spend a couple days with you in philadelphia last summer we didn't have a chance to chat . but i hope your path for
2:57 am
re-election in 2018 does not go through donald trump, it goes through the people in this room. and i would hope that you spend less time asking us to primary you and more time doing you've done today. thank you. >> thank all of you all, and the bottom line i can honestly tell you this, the bottom line there's so many things that's distorted the whole election process. citizens united is the first one destroyed our system with all the outside money. next of all, everyone fwlaefz every politician will do anything for a vote. and i -- and i'm -- i'm saying this as sincerely and honestly as i can tell you. i'm going to do what i think is the best for the state and i'm going to try to get in the best position to do kwha to help every one of you all. it might be not the position you all would agree on, but if i can put myself in a place that you can be heard and i can make sure they know what we're doing in west virginia, what we've done for this great country and what assistance we need, i'm going to
2:58 am
do that. now, you know, the worst -- i figured it out. my consolation is this. if i don't get reelected, i get to come home and spend more time with you and i'm okay with that. i'm fine with that. thank you, god bless you. [ applause ] >> i want to thank everybody for -- i want to thank everybody for coming and make sure that you have filled out your contact sheets and if there's any cards, please give them to the people at the doors also. thank you again for coming.
2:59 am
>> neil gorsuch begins the second dave his confirmation hearing tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. eastern. judge gorsuch will answer committee members questions and what's expected to be the longest of the four scheduled days. watch tomorrow starting at 9:30 a.m. eastern here on c-span 3. sunday night on q&a. >> i was off taking pictures in yosemite with some photographic buddies of mine for four days, and in all that time i never watched the television news program, we never read a newspaper, and i thought this is the way to live. and the only way to live this
3:00 am
way is to stop wrietding the columns so that i don't have to be up to date on all the news. >> author and hoover institution senior fellow thomas soul who recently retired from the syndicated column had he for 25 years talks about his life, career, and his love of photography. >> i took my first picture in 1950. and then when the results came back to the drugstore i was just hooked. and then when i was in the marine corps, the marines sent me to the navy's photography school at pensacola naval air station and there i got professional training in the subject. and then when i got out and was going to -- went away to harvard, i worked for the university news office as a photographer in order to help pay the bills. and so it was -- it was the perfect job because it was something i could do whenever i had the time. >> sunday night at 8:00 eastern
3:01 am
on c-span's q&a. >> next conservative commentators discuss immigration policy for about 50 minutes. this is from a summit hosted by the national review institute last week. you can watch more of the two-day event at c-span.org. >> gn morning, everyone. how is everyone doing? good. good. okay. well, first of all, i would like to say happy st. patrick's day. we are very happy to have so many of you here bright and early in the morning. last night was quite exciting. i heard that the night owl was fabulous,

8 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on